Even one would be too many. Sadly, there were a dozen in one month last September and thousands more attempted. If those numbers were kids injured by a faulty toy, there would have been a nationwide recall by now. If those were kids who got pregnant before they were teens, there would by television specials and public outcry. What those numbers represent, however, is something far worse: teenagers committing or attempting suicide because of anti-LGBT bullying. These are kids who either are gay or are perceived to be and who are so tormented and alone that death seems their only option. Luckily, however, there are those working to put an end to this tragedy and some of those folks are kids themselves.
Archive for the ‘Safety’ Category
“I’m a trained risk assessor,” says one parent “and this is not a health and safety issue.” That’s the point of view most parents would take, I think. In fact, some pay a lot of money just so their kids can enjoy this activity. But what is this situation that is so dangerous that some schools in Scotland are banning it? Playing in the snow, of course, because snow is, well, wet and cold.
Growing up, we had a number of dogs over the years, from dachshunds to a loveable schipperke to a couple of dumb-as-doorknob borzois and never had any problems with them. When she was an adult, however, my sister adopted an Australian shepherd and the dog bit a number of people. That was an expensive lesson. Luckily, no one was seriously hurt, but that’s not always the case.
Soda, it’s pretty well agreed, isn’t good for kids, especially the younger ones. It rots teeth and, generally, contains caffeine, not to mention being a huge source of empty calories. Milk, well, it does a body good, but it too can be fattening — something, sadly, I know from personal experience. Of course, no one would recommend coffee for kids and, in the US at least, beer, wine, and other “adult” beverages are right out. So what’s left, if your kids want something other than water? Juice is one option — except that even that has problems now.
By now, I’m sure just about everyone has heard about the three-year-old that was “hand-searched” by TSA agents after she got upset about having her teddy bear taken away. It turned out that the girl’s father was a TV reporter; he pulled out his cellphone and recorded the search. (The video has since been removed from YouTube due to copyright infringement.)
As you might expect, the opinions on this are all over the place, ranging from “this is sexual molestation of children!” to “if we don’t search children, the terrorists will put bombs in their diapers!” I think reality is somewhere in the middle — I suspect the parents could have done better job of preparing their child for the process but I also think the TSA is probably ill-prepared and poorly-trained to handle such situations.
Like a lot of people, I did my time at McDonald’s, working at the Opera House McDonald’s restaurant here in San Francisco the summer before I started college. I am quite convinced that taking advantage of the free, unlimited access to soda was directly responsible for some serious dental issues I suffered subsequently. I don’t blame the company, however; it was completely my own fault. I should have known the damage excessive amounts of soda could do to my teeth and, perhaps more importantly, no one forced me to drink the soda. One store manager in Brazil, however, faced a different set of circumstances.
Whatever you might think about the idea of legalizing marijuana use for adults — California voters will decide next Tuesday whether or not to do just that — you probably don’t approve of giving pot to children, especially pre-teens. If you’re a parent who doesn’t want their kids trying weed until they reach adulthood (or something close to it, anyway), you might want to be extra careful about checking their treat bags when they get home from trick-or-treating tonight.